Grapeview Place-A work in progress.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Rule the Pool

This t-shirt was hard won.







The other day Dan and I were on the couch side by side and our son, who shall remain nameless (let's call him "D") was discussing helmets, from his position fixing some mechanical thing on the floor.  He mentioned how he liked the Eagles.  I don't know if this is fortunate or not, but I suddenly formed a distinct image of the Eagles in their home uniforms, the angry squawking bird on the helmet, and the kelly green and white.  How did I know this?  I used to think about Banana Republic boots on sale and now I can tell you who Vinnie Testaverde is.  This isn't saying much, but I know what "Good in the Pocket" means.  I even know to say things like, "It's first down" when someone asks what's happening in the game.  That's not right.  It's like I suddenly know Chinese for no apparent reason.

Perhaps I know all this, because you cannot live in Maine without getting sucked into sports.  It's in the blood and it's the talk of the town office. You have to know who's winning what.  Everyone's son or daughter plays a sport.  My husband's family is no exception to this sports mania.

You may be surprised to learn that I have won the Mitchell family pool more than once (four times to be exact, but who is counting?).  This is mostly beginner's luck with a boost from the Las Vegas odds.  The pool started off so innocently and back then it was Dan and his folks, who graciously invited me, because I was new to Maine and I was Dan's enfianced.  Little did they expect after they took pity on me that first week when I made abominable decisions, that I would make such a comeback.

At present, our pool has grown to twelve strong and our members are spread across the country as far West as Seattle and L.A. and as far East as, of course, the Mitchells.  Anyway, I'm playing around with technology and want all you city gals who love your Kate Spade bags, but who married country men to stand a chance in the blood bath that is the family football pool, so here's a bit of advice.  Incidentally, this irritates everyone in my pool and especially my father in law, who spends a chunk of spring break watching high school basketball tournaments at the Bangor Auditorium, but here it is none the less.  Go to the following two web links for your picks and then get back to shopping.  I hear there's a sale on at old Navy in Augusta (we call that mall, "The Acropolis").

For good picks:
Option 1: A bunch of expert guys' opinions

Option 2: The holy grail; the original source

3 comments:

  1. I too moved to the country from being a city boy...
    now I have no career but look after 100 animals and a partner!!!!
    greetings from wales UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sites! They will come in handy! I was in fourth place this week out of 14 and I thought that was pretty good for picking my picks out of my a$$ :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! You know, I'm more interested in sports than my husband. I'd spend an afternoon watching football even baseball, but all he cares about is hockey. I cannot watch hockey...regarding your comment about my "heady" reading: Well, yes, it is over their heads, but I'm trying. They found Sarah Vowell's "Shooting Dad" boring. Interesting how they cannot grasp her sense of humour. Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete